DSHA Conference Refund Policy
(Approved by the DSHA Executive Council June 19, 2008)
Over recent conferences, there have been several situations which have caused the DSHA Conference Committee to evaluate requests for refunds when a registered individual becomes unable to attend. The DSHA official policy, as printed on the registration brochure, establishes the last date to cancel a registration and receive a refund. This date is the day that the registration period closes.
The DSHA Conference Committee has strived to understand that emergences arise which may prevent attendance at the last minute. In these instances, and after review of the situation, some refunds have been given. In cases where cancellations have been timely enough to allow for someone on the waiting list to attend, it has been possible to refund registration fees.
While the DSHA Executive Council understands that emergencies cannot be avoided, we feel that we must present a revised refund policy effective June 2008. DSHA incurs expenses on behalf of the individual once she/he registers that are in addition to the “general costs” of presenting the conference. General costs would include: the speaker fee, speaker transportation/hotel/shuttle from airport/meals, facility charge, and printing and mailing the conference brochure. These “upfront” costs (minus airfare) exceed $35 per person. Costs that would be considered “on behalf of the individual” include: printing and mailing of confirmation packet, conference forms (ASHA CEU form, course evaluation, learning objectives, CEU attendance form), printing and binding the conference booklet, and food/beverage expenses. Once the Conference Committee commits to the printer and caterer, these “individual costs” cannot be recouped when people cancel. Individual costs account for 35-40 % of the conference registration fee.
As of June 2008, the DSHA Conference refund policy will be as outlined below.
- Registrants may not invite someone to attend in their place. Only the registrar may approve attendance changes.
- Full refund if the registrar is notified at least 14 calendar days in advance of the conference.
- Full refund if registrar is notified at least 2 days in advance of the conference AND the spot is filled by someone on the waiting list (Notification is received by 5 PM on Wednesday for a Friday conference). This can only be done by the registrar.
- 66% refund if the registrar is notified at least 7 days in advance of the conference but the spot is not filled by someone on the waiting list or there is no waiting list. (Notification is received by 5 PM on the previous Friday for a Friday conference).
- 40% refund if the registrar is notified at least 3 days in advance of the conference but the spot is not filled by someone on the waiting list or there is no waiting list. (Notification is received by 5 PM on Tuesday for a Friday conference).
- Refunds will be handled on case by case basis for serious emergences that arise within 48 hours of the conference.
- Refunds will not be given in the event of a “no show.”